Woman runs down crowd at march over cop killing on George Floyd anniversary eve

A woman has been arrested after allegedly running over protesters marching in protest of the police killing of Andrew Brown.

Two black women "peacefully protesting and exercising their constitutional rights" were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries following the incident, according to the Elizabeth City Police Department.

Lisa Michelle O’Quinn, 41, of Greenville, was arrested Monday, May 24, after the protesters were hit by a car in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, US.

She has been charged with two felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill, one count of careless and reckless driving, and one count of unsafe movement.

Police are also considering whether to bring hate crime charges against her.

The incident happened at the intersection of Ehringhaus Street and Griffin Street around 6.45pm, according to Elizabeth City police.

Michelle Morris and Valerie Lindsey were taken to a local hospital but are expected to make a full recovery following the incident.

O'Quinn, a white woman, was processed at the Albemarle District Jail. She has a first court appearance on May 27.

Regular protests have been held in Elizabeth City in recent weeks following the release of police video involving the death of Andrew Brown, Jr.

Brown, a Black man, was shot and killed by Pasquotank County deputies on April 21.

Last week, a North Carolina district attorney said officers were justified in the fatal shooting of Andrew Brown Jr and that the sheriff’s deputies who fired will not face charges for killing the 42-year-old father of seven.

Andrew Womble said Brown’s death "while tragic was justified" because three deputies "reasonably" believed deadly force was necessary to protect themselves and others while serving a warrant for Brown’s arrest on felony drug charges.

  • Woman followed 'scared' boy, 15, through train station before 'grabbing his genitals'

The prosecutor said deputies in full tactical gear blocked Brown in the driveway outside his home to serve the warrant on 21 April.

Brown then ignored orders from officers to get out of the car and struck a deputy twice while trying to escape, Womble said.

Three deputies who fired their weapons during the incident remain on leave – investigator Daniel Meads, deputy Robert Morgan, and corporal Aaron Lewellyn.

Four others involved in the incident have returned to active duty. Womble said he would not be filing criminal charges against any of the deputies.

The FBI has since launched a civil rights investigation of the shooting.

Source: Read Full Article