Woman hit with £1,700 in vet bills after an adder bit her distraught dog

A five-year-old rescue dog was left "distraught" and required two life-saving injections after being bitten on the face by an adder.

Whilst being walked on a lead Abby, a cross-breed dog, was bitten by an adder hidden away amongst grass.

Abby needed two injections to save her life from the venomous bite, leaving the family almost £1,700 worse off.

Linda, who did not wish her surname to be included, was walking her pet companion in woodland in Penllergaer on April 26 when the incident happened.

She said: "It all happened so quickly, Abby is a nervous dog and quite cautious so it was really upsetting to see her react quite scared. I noticed the adder scurrying away which Is when I realised what had happened.

"When we got home she just wasn't herself, she laid down and we tried to make her comfortable but her face started to swell which is when we took her to the vet."

The "terrifying" ordeal left the family facing a large financial expense, although they added that, "it was never any doubt we were going to pay".

Linda had to scramble for the injection as it's not in widespread supply across Wales, adding to the stressful situation.

She took Abby to a vets in Llanelli who didn't have the serum, but was sourced from another practice in Carmarthen.

For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Adders are more common at this time of year. Being the UK's only venomous snake, they often hide in undergrowth and can be recognised for their very distinct zig-zag pattern down their backs.

Recently a snake threatened the life of a small pup in Tonyrefail. Elsewhere, another dog walker in the Llangennith area of Gower was left with a substantial vet bill of £3,500 in order to save their Staffie.

Linda is now urging pet owners to be mindful on walks of these "hidden dangers" and reminding dog walkers that even those on a lead are still at risk.

Source: Read Full Article