Why Queen has missed Remembrance Sunday 7 times including todays back injury

The Queen has regularly attended the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph War Memorial in central London but there have been a few occasions when she has been unable to make the event.

Her Majesty, 95, was forced to pull out today's proceedings with the rest of the Royal Family due to a back injury, which comes after last month’s overnight stay in hospital.

Although the injury is said to be unrelated, the Queen has been taking it easy on doctor’s advice.

Buckingham Palace said the Queen made the decision ”with great regret” this morning.

The occasion would have been the first time she attended the service without her husband Prince Philip, following his passing earlier this year.

The Queen has only ever missed the memorial event six times in the past 69 years on the throne – until today.

Her Majesty is said to record the service as one of the most significant engagements of the year and has not missed one since 1999.

The Queen’s previous absences have been due to commitments to royal visits overseas and due to her being pregnant.

  • Onlookers gasp as Royal Household Cavalry member 'faints' at Remembrance Sunday service

Four of the occasions came during overseas visits to Ghana in 1961, Brazil in 1968, Kenya in 1983 and South Africa in 1999.

Her Majesty was also forced to pull out of the 1959 and 1963 services as she was pregnant with her two youngest children, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward.

The Queen’s decision to not attend today’s service comes following a hospital visit in October, where Her Majesty stayed overnight at King Edward VII Hospital.

  • Remembrance Sunday and its mysterious hero – the true story of the Unknown Warrior

She had returned to light work after a fortnight of rest and had hoped to be able to attend the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph.

The Queen is the world’s oldest monarch and lived through the Second World War as a teenager.

She has always felt the poignant service was of the utmost importance to commemorate the sacrifices made by fallen servicemen and women.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

In a statement regarding the Queen missing the service today, Buckingham Palace said: “Her Majesty is disappointed that she will miss the service.

“As in previous years, a wreath will be laid on Her Majesty's behalf by the Prince of Wales.

“His Royal Highness, along with the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra will be present at the Cenotaph today as planned.”

Source: Read Full Article