Warning to parents after TikTok trend leaves boy, 12, hospitalised with burns

A 12-year-old boy has been hospitalised with severe burns while doing a popular TikTok trend.

Parents have been warned to watch their children’s online activities after a child from East Haven, Connecticut was rushed to hospital with severe burns on Thursday.

The trend in question was the "whoosh bottle experiment" where flammable vapours combust in a five-gallon water jug.

When ignited, the bottle makes a loud "whooshing" noise and fire rushes out of the top of the bottle and has gained popularity amongst TikTok users.

The child’s attempt at the viral trend could have led to a fatality and a major fire in the house and the trend is now being replicated across the popular social media app.

For more of the latest news from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

Fire officials from East Haven issued a warning to parents after firefighters responded to a call on Tuesday night.

The town’s Fire Marshal Charles Miller is planning to work with nearby schools to increase awareness of the dangers of playing with fire.

In a statement, Miller said: "Take a few minutes to talk to your children about the dangers of playing with ignitable liquids and matches and monitor what they are watching.

  • Teacher forced to isolate in plane toilet after positive Covid test on flight

"This experiment when done incorrectly can cause severe burns that can permanently scar an individual."

TikTok is now working to remove the dangerous viral trend.

A spokesperson for the app, in a statement to Newsweek, said: "We understand that this school science experiment can be done safely with proper precautions, but videos without visible safety measures will be removed from our platform.

"We also work to add caution labels to videos performed in a controlled setting, though they are ineligible for recommendation into people's For You feeds."

This is far from the first TikTok challenge that has endangered a child’s life.

Last month, a 10-year-old girl died in her home when taking part in the TikTok ‘Blackout’ challenge.

Source: Read Full Article