Vet warns dog owners against feeding pets Christmas dinner leftovers

Vets have warned against feeding pooches salty and fattening Christmas leftovers.

More than a third of mutts are gobbling down scraps from our festive binges and 47% are allowed takeaway leftovers.

But telly vet Dr Marc Abraham warned owners: “Traditional festive fare such as mince pies, raisins, turkey stuffing, and Christmas pudding can make your pet seriously ill.

“Or worse still they can prove fatal. Owners need to be vigilant throughout the festive period, especially as pets can easily sniff out any presents which contain dangerous food, such as chocolate.”

He warned that no one wants their Christmas and New Year fun ruined by a trip to the emergency vet.

Dr Marc added: “If you suspect your pet has swallowed something he or she shouldn’t have, then please call your vet immediately, whatever the time of day or night.

“It’s also important to politely ask any visiting guests, including children, to refrain from feeding your pets anything
at all.

“Extra food, such as leftovers or treats offered to your pet by anyone other than yourself, can increase the chances of painful pancreatitis, vomiting and diarrhoea.”

  • Critically endangered tiger rescued suffered deep wounds trying to escape boar trap

The news comes after a couple warned against leaving mince pies out after their naughty Labrador spent Christmas with an emergency vet after eating five.

Paul, 49 and Debbie Walker, 47, left the house to buy some tin foil for their turkey when pooch Archie devoured the popular festive snacks from the kitchen counter.

But raisins and currants are highly toxic to dogs and even just a handful can cause potentially fatal poisoning and organ failure.

Love dogs?

Join our brand new sister website TeamDogs today!

It's a place where you can share a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed and share your doggy advice.

Stay in the loop with all the latest Daily Star news by signing up for one of our free newsletters here.

Emergency vet for Vets Now Dave Hollinshead said: “Our vets and vet nurses treated dozens of dogs last year who had eaten mince pies left out for Santa and we are expecting similar this year.

“That’s why it’s important to raise awareness that the raisins in mince pies can be toxic to dogs.

“If your dog gets hold of a mince pie, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding or anything else with raisins and grapes please don’t delay in getting them checked over by a vet.”

Source: Read Full Article