Terror suspect’s final deadly taxi journey caught on chilling CCTV

CCTV shows the final journey of Emad Al-Swealmeen on his way to unleash terror at Liverpool Women's Hospital.

The Iraq-born 32-year-old was the only fatality after a homemade bomb exploded in the back of a Delta taxi outside the hospital just before 11am on Sunday (November 14).

The driver, David Perry, dived from the vehicle seconds after the blast before it was consumed in a fireball.

Counter-terrorism police are heading a fast-moving investigation and on Wednesday (November 17) announced they believed Al-Swealmeen had been planning the attack since April, when he moved into an address on Rutland Avenue, near Sefton Park.

Mr Perry's taxi travelled along Lodge Lane on its way to the Crown Street site, and was captured by cameras at The Green Mountain Food Store, by the junction with Tagus Street, Liverpool ECHO reported.

Manager Naz Al-Asadi, 27, told the title: "The police came in around 12pm yesterday, they said to me can we check the CCTV.

"I said yes, we should work together as this is something not good at all, this is very, very bad.

"They knew the time and they took a copy. It is very horrible, very very bad. I just want to know what was going on with this guy, it is not normal."

Police also visited other shops in the busy street, and staff and residents spoke of their dismay at hearing about the attack.

One young man, working in a phone repair store, told the paper: "I have no words to say about this guy who done it.

  • Liverpool hospital bomber Emad Al Swealmeen building homemade bomb since at least April

"We feel it paints a bad picture for us as Muslims, although he converted to Christianity. It is nothing to do with the Muslim people.

"I have heard about people that I know, women with the hijab, saying things to them about the situation."

The motive behind the attack has not been confirmed by Counter Terror police so far.

Al-Swealmeen had accessed mental health services since his arrival in the UK in 2014, but Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust told the ECHO he was not a service user at the time of his death.

  • Inside Liverpool bomber Emad Al-Swealmeen's life – Christian convert to cake decorating

According to friends, he was sectioned in 2015 after being prosecuted for possessing a knife in the city.

The BBC reported he had an asylum claim turned down and had lodged an appeal with the Upper Tribunal of the Immigration and Asylum Chamber.

That was dismissed in 2017, and his asylum status at the time of his death is unclear.

It has also emerged Al-Swealmeen had embarked on a cake decorating course at City of Liverpool College in 2018.

Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson, Head of Counter Terrorism Policing North West, said Al Swealmeen "has had episodes of mental illness".

He added: "There is much comment in the media about Al Swealmeen and it is clear that he was known to many people.

"We continue to appeal for people who knew him, especially those who associated with him this year as we try and piece together the events leading up to this incident and the reasons for it."

Source: Read Full Article