The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II announced the death of her “beloved husband,” His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, with “great sorrow,” on Friday.
The Queen released a statement through Buckingham Palace which confirmed the Duke of Edinburgh “passed away peacefully” at Windsor Castle, where he had been in lockdown with Her Majesty since December.
It is understood the Queen will now mourn for Prince Philip, her companion of more than 70 years, for a period of eight-days, it has been reported.
Buckingham Palace said further announcements will be made in "due course" after the Royal Family join "with the people around the world in mourning his loss."
The Queen's full statement read: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.
"Further announcements will made in due course.
"The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss."
Get latest news headlines delivered free
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
Prince Philip's death comes just two months after he was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in central London on February 16.
A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace said at the time the Duke was "feeling unwell" and had been taken to the facility as a "precautionary measure."
He was then transferred to St Bartholomew Hospital where he underwent an operation on his heart and was treated for an infection.
The Duke of Edinburgh was driven back to Windsor Castle on March 16 after a month-long stay, his longest ever.
Inside Prince Philip's tragic childhood with mum's breakdown and sister's plane death
Photos taken of him leaving the hospital are understood to have been the last images ever taken of Philip in public.
Prince Philip stepped down from royal duties in 2017 at the age of 96 and was later involved in a horror car crash in January 2019.
On their 73rd wedding anniversary, Prince Philip and the Queen released an image of themselves reading a card made by their great-grandchildren, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, it is their last public photo together.
Prior to his hospitalisation, Philip and Her Majesty shielded from coronavirus throughout the pandemic, and both received their Covid vaccinations on January 9.
- Prince Philip
Source: Read Full Article