Murder probe launched after boy, 2, dies with woman, 31, arrested

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

A murder probe has been launched after a two-year-old boy died following an incident in Bridgend.

A 31-year-old woman was initially arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after emergency services were called to the Broadlands area of the South Wales town on Wednesday night.

Police officers and paramedics attended the scene shortly before 8pm on August 11 and the child was taken to the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, where he later died, Wales Online reports.

South Wales Police confirmed the tragic news in a statement on Thursday night and confirmed a murder investigation had been launched.

A force spokesman said: “South Wales Police’s major crime investigations team have launched a murder investigation following the death of a two-year-old boy at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff this afternoon.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

“The child was admitted after being found in a critical condition at an address in Broadlands, Bridgend at approximately 8.30pm on Wednesday night.

“A 31-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody.”

Detective chief inspector Matt Davies said: “I understand this incident will have caused concerns in the local community but I must stress we are not currently looking for anyone else in connection with this matter at this time.

“The family continue to be supported by dedicated family liaison officers and I would appeal to people to refrain from speculating on social media at what is a very difficult time for all concerned.”

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesman said: "We were called at 7.47pm on Wednesday, August 11, to reports of a medical emergency in the Broadlands area of Bridgend.

"We responded with multiple resources including an emergency ambulance, a rapid response vehicle, our hazardous area response team, and emergency medical retrieval and transfer service."

A resident living in the area said on Thursday: “I heard the police cars and the sirens around 8.15pm/8.30pm.

“They were there for quite a while.

"The ambulance was there until possibly 9.30pm, maybe longer, and before I went to bed there were still police cars here at 2am.”

  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article