A mum whose young son developed the deadly Strep A virus said his "screams will haunt me forever".
George Higham was rushed to Grimsby Children’s Hospital, Lincolnshire, in August whenever the disease was diagnosed, after his mum initially thought it was thrush and called 111.
The five-year-old’s mother, Jenna, urged parents to get their child to A&E if they think they might have the deadly infection.
READ MORE: Angry pub landlord cancels rail workers' Christmas bash due to strikes
Jenna, 24, claims her GP misdiagnosed her son’s symptoms as thrush. But she was sure he needed hospital treatment and phoned 111.
George was diagnosed with the same Group A Strep infection – known as iGAS – which has killed six kids since September.
"It was such a frightening time," Jenna told The Mirror.
“He developed a heart murmur because he was so ill and he was screaming in agony from the pains in his legs. They couldn’t get a drip in him because he was thrashing about so much, so he was given intramuscular antibiotics.”
George made a full recovery. But Jenna, from Sutton on Sea, Lincolnshire, said: “His screams will always haunt me. I am just so thankful he made it through."
“I was in tears when I heard about the children who didn’t make it. If George had passed away, I can’t think about it, it really upsets me.”
Generous billionaire pays for Disney World trip for 10,000 staff and their families
Among the children to die was Muhammad Ibrahim Ali, four, from High Wycombe, Bucks, who died in the back of an ambulance. Hanna Roap, 7, tragically died after contracting Strep A.
Health chiefs say rates are up to five times higher than before Covid and fear the rise may be due to lower child immunity due to lockdowns.
This weekend mum Laura Rooney – whose daughter Farrah "doesn't even look like herself anymore" due to Strep A – has also urged parents to be vigilant for signs of the deadly disease, saying she hopes her family's struggle can help warn others.
She said: "She was having fever-like symptoms, persistent coughs and a sore throat.
"She's just been so consistently unwell from it, we are on our fifth antibiotic from September and she's on steroids now as well.
"She has missed out on so much with school and the nursery and having to stay indoors, it has affected every part of our lives."
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
- Boy, 4, manages to survive 6 days in African wilderness with 'hyenas and jackals'
- Eight penguins tragically killed after bird flu outbreak hits a UK zoo
- Deadly fish 'with poison 1,200 times deadlier than cyanide' found washed up on Brit beach
Source: Read Full Article