Prince Harry and Meghan Markle may never return to social media after the duke’s latest outburst, according to a royal expert.
In an interview withFast Company, a monthly business magazine, Harry lashed out at Big Tech without naming any specific companies.
The Duke of Sussex attributed the chaos of the US Capitol riots on January 6, the genocide in Myanmar, and the destruction of the Amazon rainforest to social media sites.
He also called on people to take a "more compassionate approach and tone when you post or comment”.
It comes after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex moved away from social media.
And in the wake of the interview, royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams believes the royal couple may abandon social media permanently.
He told the Daily Star: “It’s not a time when you can easily measure somebody’s actual influence … they’ve done quite a lot virtually but a lot of things are on hold for everybody.
“We’ll see how significant their brand is, but they have the contacts, they have the particular deals.
“They obviously feel they don’t need social media. If for any other reason they were in the future to think they did – or social media were to alter sufficiently to make them believe that they would be at ease returning – obviously they would.
Meteor explodes in sky in mind-blowing phenomenon witnessed from UK
“But we’ll have to see and you’re talking about seismic changes, and it’s very difficult to change social media. It’s very difficult to change the trolling which is so appalling it.”
Harry discussed the harassment he had experienced alongside his wife in the recent interview.
Meghan previously said she was “the most trolled person in the entire world” in 2019.
Asked if the couple would see no reason to return if their brand were successful enough, Mr Fitzwilliams responded: “That is what it appears at the moment.
Paralysed dog makes full recovery with pilates and paddleboarding
“But again, it’s very difficult to predict precisely what’s going to happen when you’ve got a pandemic gripping so much of the world…everyone is operating under certain limits.”
The Daily Star has approached Harry and Meghan's representative for comment.
Almost exactly a year after stepping back from their roles as senior royals, Meghan and Harry quit social media earlier this month.
They stepped back from usingFacebookandTwitterbecause of the "almost unsurvivable" amount of abuse they receive, The Times initially reported.
Their last post appeared on their Sussex RoyalInstagrampage on March 30, when they thanked their 10.4 million followers and asked them to look out for each other as the coronaviruspandemic took hold of countries around the world.
Source: Read Full Article