Hotel evacuated on Boxing Day after guests collapsed in carbon monoxide leak

Boxing Day was reduced to chaos yesterday for guests at a hotel as staff were forced to evacuate amid a leak of carbon monoxide.

Five people staying at the Royal Bar & Hotel in Morecambe, Lancashire, were rushed to hospital as the rest of the guests fled the venue.

Chaotic scenes saw some collapse after exposure to the carbon monoxide before they were taken to Lancaster Infirmary to be treated, Mirror Online reports.

According to a statement provided by police, the five patients have now been discharged from hospital. Police said an investigation has been launched and enquires are ongoing.

Kerri Smith, from Manchester, who works in Morecambe, said she and her extended family members had been staying in the hotel and another nearby venue.

The 45-year-old said she saw two young boys and a young girl from her family collapse, and rushed to warn staff at the venue to take action.

"My children and grandchildren were staying there and I went and got them out, and alerted staff to ring the fire bridge and get people out,” she said.

“I suspected it was carbon monoxide because of the way they were dropping like dominoes. Half of my family [were] in Lancaster hospital on Boxing Day."

The police statement said officers were called in at 9:45am yesterday by the ambulance service following a suspected carbon monoxide leak at the hotel.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

"Officers attended with partner agencies including gas service engineers to make the area safe. The building was evacuated and cordon remains in place today," it continued. "Anyone with information is asked to contact 101 quoting log reference 0353 of December 26."

A spokesperson for Lancashire Fire & Rescue Service told Lancashire Live that they had been called to a reported carbon monoxide by the North West Ambulance Service.

"The ambulance service treated several people at the scene while our crews remained at the scene for around six hours working with Cadent Gas to make the property safe," they said. "The investigation has now been passed to Lancaster City Council."

A spokesperson for Lancaster City Council said the city council yesterday supported the emergency response to a suspected carbon monoxide leak at the Royal Hotel in Morecambe.

"The investigation is in its very early stages and we will be working closely with our partner agencies to determine the exact circumstances of the incident.”

The hotel was unavailable for comment when the Daily Star contacted the business.

Source: Read Full Article