Horror moment driver mows down police officer who ‘thought he was going to die’

A driver has been filmed deliberately mowing down a police officer in a desperate bid to avoid getting arrested.

Aydin Altun, 26, from Tottenham, north London, was found guilty yesterday of attempted grievous bodily harm with intent after leaving an armed Metropolitan Police officer dangerously clinging on to the car bonnet, the Old Bailey heard.

The police arrived at the scene to find an empty car riddled with bullet holes and a witness reported seeing a black Mercedes leaving the area.

The following day, police spotted a black Mercedes on Tottenham High Road and armed officers followed the car as it turned into White Hart Lane.

When the car pulled over, one armed officer approached the front and shouted: "Armed police, show me your hands!"

In the CCTV and police bodycam footage played at the court, Altun is seen driving forward at speed and throwing the officer onto the bonnet.

The injured cop is left clinging to the Mercedes as the car speeds towards White Hart Lane Station.

Altun then attempts to throw the officer off the car by zig-zagging across the road.

A few seconds later, the officer is thrown across the road onto the pavement, luckily missing some items of street furniture.

The Mercedes drove off, but officers found it a short time later abandoned on Tiverton Road, with the officer's mobile still wedged between the bonnet and windscreen.

The injured officer, who was lapsing in and out of consciousness, was taken to hospital with significant grazing and cuts to his head, elbow, knuckles and hand but later discharged.

He said in court: "I remember being scared for my life, I thought I was going to die. I remember thinking if this car was going to crash, I was going to die."

Altun was identified as the suspect and the Metropolitan Police launched a manhunt to find him.

On October 30, 2019, Altun was arrested after he walked into Edmonton police station.

Four men, two aged 17, one aged 18 and one aged 19, were also arrested on the same day on suspicion of assisting an offender.

They were taken to north London police stations and were subsequently released with no further action.

Altun was found not guilty of possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life, but guilty of attempted grievous bodily harm with intent.

He will be sentenced at the Old Bailey this Friday.

Altun's mother Sultan Altun, 54 and sister Hanim Altun, 24, both from Tottenham, were also on trial for perverting the course of justice and were found not guilty.

Assistant Commissioner Louisa Rolfe, Met Operations, said after the court hearing: "'We're just weeks on from the awful killing of Sgt Matt Ratana, I'm pleased that a dangerous criminal who drove at an officer and put his life in danger has been convicted.

"Thankfully such incidents are rare but being an officer in London can be tough and officers can face danger every day.

"We do not tolerate any violence towards our officers and we relentlessly pursue anyone assaulting our officers to bring them to justice.

"Such incidents and convictions strengthen our resolve to root out and bear down on violent crime in all its forms and make us more determined to protect our public."

Source: Read Full Article