Following the incident, the family of the dead baby girl said that after the incident, the hospital tried to pressure the family into signing documents that would cover up what really happened.
A complaint was lodged against the police by the mother of the child, Ms Ranielly Coelho Santos, 34, two days after the death of the baby girl.
Ms Santos said she was taken to hospital on April 24 after concerns were raised over her high blood pressure. A week later, doctors induced her labour.
During labour, an unnamed obstetrician allegedly called the girl’s father in to observe the procedure alongside Ms Santos’ mother.
The father said that he witnessed his daughter blink and her lips move as she was born. This, he reportedly said, was proof she was alive and well.
However, according to the family’s report to the police, the doctor allegedly climbed onto the mother’s belly and “ripped off the child’s head”.
The police report said that the family, from the outskirts of Belo Horizonte, received an apology from the doctor for what happened.
They added that they were later approached by a social worker who said that while the hospital would cover the costs of the baby’s funeral, they would only do so if the family agreed to sign documents that contained certain conditions.
These documents allegedly stated the autopsy of the child had been performed at the hospital, that the child’s body had already been examined and that the body “would not be forwarded to the Legal Medical Institute (IML)” for analysis.
According to the family’s lawyer, the parents refused to sign the papers and filed a complaint with the police. The baby’s body was reportedly sent to the IML for further examination.
Speaking to Itatiaia, the hospital said that it “deeply regretted” the case and said they would “make every effort to investigate the facts” as they waited for the autopsy report.
The baby’s body was reportedly due for release to the parents on May 8 so it can be buried.
Source: Read Full Article