Boy, 5, fighting for life after mirror collapses on him at high street shop

A five-year-old boy is fighting for his life after a mirror reportedly fell on him at a high street shop.

The child was given emergency first aid at Fenwick department store in Colchester, Essex, after the incident around 11.30am on Tuesday, July 27.

He was then rushed to hospital in a critical condition, where he continues to receive treatment.

It is believed a mirror landed on top of the child inside the shop, though police have not yet confirmed the details.

Essex Police said in a statement: "We were called to Colchester High Street by colleagues in the ambulance service with reports of concerns for the welfare of a child.

"We arrived and found a five-year-old boy had sustained a serious head injury.

"Alongside store staff and medics, our officers immediately administered first aid to the boy.

"He was taken to hospital in a critical condition, where he remains.

"Specialist officers are supporting the boy's family at this time."

The force is supporting an investigation into the incident alongside Colchester Borough Council.

  • Huge asteroid up to twice the size of Big Ben to enter Earth's orbit this weekend

The shop remained closed on Wednesday, July 28, as the investigation continues.

Mia Fenwick, director at Fenwick, said: "The Fenwick family, leadership and all of our colleagues are shocked and saddened by the incident which happened at our Colchester store yesterday morning.

"Our thoughts are with the child and their family during this difficult time.

"We are working closely with the local authorities to assist with the investigation and to understand how this happened.”

Earlier this week, three children and several other adults were injured after a fairground ride collapsed at an amusement park.

Emergency services were called to Planet Fun in Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland, on Saturday, July 24.

The Star Flyer ride started swinging out of control, striking a series of signs.

Six of the casualties were treated in hospital, including three kids.

The park was cleared to reopen on Sunday, July 25, after an investigation found no “mechanical defects”,Belfast Livereported.

To keep up to date with all the latest news stories, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article