Birthday girl, 5, poisoned on £65 Waterworld trip as parents demand refund

A couple have demanded a refund from Waterworld after their daughter was allegedly "poisoned" by chlorine gas during a nightmare birthday trip.

Ashley and Jessica Curwood said they had to rush their five-year-old daughter Annabelle to hospital after she was left suffering in pain after visiting the aqua park in Stoke-on-Trent — which insists all safety protocols were being followed.

Within just 15 minutes of stepping into the water on Sunday (February 27), the family claimed Annabelle had developed sore eyes and a chesty cough.

The leisure resort has left the family out of pocket by £66 after they spent £60 on tickets, £3.50 on parking, and £2.50 on a locker, reports Stoke-on-Trent Live.

They said they arrived at the Festival Park attraction at around 10am after travelling from Nottinghamshire.

Ashley, 32, said: “Our eyes were stinging really badly and there were quite a few people coughing.

"We looked at the lifeguards and their eyes looked like they were streaming.

“I spoke to one of them and asked what was happening. They said something had happened with one of the pumps and there was too much chlorine in the water."

Ashley added: “We were advised to go out of the pool for half an hour, wash our eyes out, and try not to go under the water. We tried to carry on but it was getting quite bad.

“Our daughter started coughing a lot and she said her chest was hurting."

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

The dad said they spoke to staff around midday and claimed his family were offered some mini-golf tickets or to come back another day.

He added: “I spoke to my wife and my daughter but she didn’t want to stay in the pool.

"We said we will do mini-golf. But when we got changed and everything my daughter said she didn’t want to do that, she wanted to go home.

"We told them we didn’t want to do it anymore."

The couple later called NHS 111 and Annabelle was advised to go to A&E.

Ashley added: “They said she was not in any danger but they confirmed it was 'chlorine gas poisoning'.

“We have to watch her for the next few days and make sure her breathing is fine and that she is not coughing up blood.

“As soon as we got her away from it she was feeling fine. I am massively disappointed with the company.

“If they had just apologised, here is your money back, and we hope you come back again; we probably would have.

“It takes about 55 minutes for us to get there. I said we don’t fancy coming back, it’s not a two minute drive for us. I’ve emailed the website to ask how I can make a formal complaint.”

A Waterworld spokesman said: "All pool tests and operational plantroom procedures were followed and adhered to fully, as is the norm. There were no breaches in any health and safety protocols.

"As a business we ensure our customers are dealt with in a fair manner. We do our best to make sure all customers leave with a smile.

"We believe the manager on duty did all he could to address the situation and offer a remedy."

Daily Star has contacted Waterworld for comment.

Source: Read Full Article