30 dead as high-voltage pylon collapses onto busy market with bodies everywhere

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

Horror footage from a busy market shows the aftermath of a collapsing electricity pylon which reportedly killed 30 people.

Several videos uploaded to Twitter from other market attendees in Matadi Kibala, Congo, show panicked crowds walking amongst dead bodies on the ground on Wednesday.

People can be heard screaming in the incredibly graphic footage, as people wade through murky water in what appears to be a flooded market street.

One Twitter user uploading the footage wrote: "An excerpt from the situation in the Matadi Kibala district.

"It is a high voltage pillonne that fell on the Matadi Kibala market this morning. Witnesses evoke more than 30 deaths."

In response to the video, another Twitter user wrote something that translates to: "Oh my God, have mercy on your people".

Some bodies can be seen laying on top of one another while others are separated on their own.

Almost all of the bodies are partially under water.

Masses amounts of fruit and other food products, likely from the nearby market stalls, can be seen floating in the water around the lifeless bodies.

Matadi-Kibala is a city in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, located about 10 miles South-West of Kinshasa , the country's capital.

Stay in the loop with all the latest Daily Star news by signing up for one of our free newsletters here.

In other world news, a man set his house on fire after using a flamethrower in a desperate bid to melt snow and ice on the pathway outside.

A wicked storm left parts of Connecticut, in the USA, under two feet of snow, and the homeowner in Seymour took the extreme measure to try and clear the pathway.

The man “accidentally ignited” his house, according to a fire department report.

Firefighters from Great Hill Hose responded to the scene of a house fire after 5.30pm on Saturday, January 29, officials said in a Facebook post.

When they arrived, one entire side of a mobile home was in flames, and they learned that the man had been using a flamethrower to melt snow and ice outside his property.

There were no injuries, although two cats were reportedly startled by the fire.

  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article