Sky News: Sajid Javid hasn't 'thought about' an October lockdown
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
He added the vaccination programme provides “significant defences” that were not in place when the country was previously shut down. He said: “It is not true that the Government is planning a lockdown or firebreak around the October half-term. We have retained contingency plans as part of responsible planning for a range of scenarios, but these would only be reintroduced as a last resort to prevent unsustainable pressure on our NHS.”
Fears of a firebreak were raised after an unnamed member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) said the UK is about to enter “an extended peak” of infections, and a “precautionary break” was on the table.
Another anonymous source said a two-week half-term “firebreak” was “no means out of the question”.
Yesterday the Office for National Statistics revealed there were 668 deaths in the week ending August 27 that mentioned Covid-19 on the death certificate – the highest number since 719 deaths were registered in the week to March 26.
Across the UK, 43,535,098 second doses of Covid inoculations have been delivered, meaning four in five people aged 16 and above have had both jabs.
Source: Read Full Article