You've Got Questions? We Have Answers.
What is The SUPES Academy?
- The SUPES Academy is a national leadership development program established to prepare individuals to serve as America's next generation of superintendents and school district leaders.
Why was The SUPES Academy developed?
- America is at an economic crossroads. Our children and grandchildren will have a bright future only if we provide them with a superior K-12 education. Outstanding district leaders are needed to transform our nation’s school systems to systems of high performance and achievement. At the same time, there will be an unprecedented number of superintendents retiring or leaving the profession within the next five years. This provides an opportunity for a new generation of reform-minded leaders to spearhead America’s resurgence in the field of K-12 education. The SUPES Academy program was established to prepare these new leaders and to provide a focused alternative or supplement to traditional superintendent training and certification programs.
Who should participate in The SUPES Academy?
Participation in The SUPES Academy will benefit outstanding:
- Prospective superintendents who will be pursuing a superintendency as their next career move
- K-12 leaders who are part of the superintendency as current members of the executive leadership team
- Charter and private school system leaders
- Proven executives from the private sector, military, and other not-for-profit organizations
How large is each cohort?
- Participation will be limited to 25 people in each cohort, applications will be screened, and selection limited to individuals with the capacity to be outstanding transformational leaders.
How will The SUPES Academy experience be different from other superintendent training programs?
The SUPES Academy program has several unique features:
A Relevant, Coherent Curriculum
- All components of the program are focused on developing the capacity for transformative leadership to improve student achievement. The program will be heavily case-based, with a combination of whole-group, small-group, and individual learning activities in each session.
Experienced, Successful Faculty
- The program will be taught by a cadre of experienced leaders of school systems, charter or private schools, or private sector organizations—all of whom have been highly successful in raising organizational performance and positively affecting organizational culture.
Individual Learning Plans
- Each participant will complete an initial assessment and then have an individualized learning plan to guide their independent work during the program; program materials will be electronically accessible for participant use.
- Graduates will receive support from The SUPES Academy through the placement process and will have access to quality support services through their first full year on the job.
Who created The SUPES Academy?
The SUPES Academy is a national organization created by Gary Solomon and Thomas Vranas, two leading entrepreneurs in the field of K-12 education who are owners of PROACT Search and Synesi Associates. Recognizing that little will change in K-12 education without outstanding leadership at the top of school systems, they decided to create a cutting-edge superintendent preparation program. To assist in this endeavor, they retained the services of two pioneers in the area of alternative programming in superintendent preparation. This team created the highly successful Michigan SUPES Academy and were instrumental in the creation, startup, and operation of The Broad Superintendents Academy.
What's the format of a SUPES Academy?
- Each SUPES Academy program will be provided in five two-day sessions. In addition, the program includes up to seven days of online and independent study work. For the first time, we will be meeting for the final session for a formal graduation that will be held at the AASA National Conference on Education.
Can I get college credit for participation in The SUPES Academy? Will participation apply toward state certification for the superintendency?
- Up to three graduate credit hours through a partnering university may be granted for SUPES participation. Students would need to register with the university to receive this credit. The certification requirements in every state are different. While we cannot guarantee that successful participation in The SUPES Academy will apply toward certification in your state, we can, however, guarantee that it will better prepare you for success in the role of superintendent.
How do I apply for The SUPES Academy?
- Visit the 2013-2014 Application and complete it. Admissions is rolling, starting in May 2013.
How much will it cost to participate in The SUPES Academy?
- Thanks to sponsorship by various public and private sources, SUPES participants will only be responsible for own travel and lodging arrangements, and an academy fee which includes meals and program materials. All other costs will be offset through the generosity of foundations and private sector sponsors. The 2013-2014 registration fee will be released on May 1, 2013.